JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
Cambridge Food choose Hyster because they provided the best fit-for-purpose solution
Cambridge Food is part of the Masscash division of Massmart, South African-based subsidiary of Walmart.
The Cambridge Food distribution centre (DC) is the first in the Masscash stable and part of a strategy by Masscash to drive efficiencies in growing its Cambridge Food chain, which focuses on food retail in the lower end of the market.
The number of Cambridge Food stores countrywide is set to increase from 25 to 100 by 2015. By 2016, the number of stores serviced from this DC will have increased to 50.
Cambridge Food chose Hyster and its South African distributor as materials handling partners because they provided the best fit-for-purpose solution and also because Cambridge Food was satisfied that it would receive the requisite levels of after-care service through the local Hyster distribution partner.
How did Hyster Help?
- Provided the best fit-for-purpose equipment
- Equipment was provided at short notice and at the right price
- The local distribution partner provides a fullservice maintenance contract, ensuring a quick response and maximum uptime
- All operators were trained and licensed through the local distribution partner
The DC has a standard layout with three metre wide aisles and racking up to 11 metres high. It has 12 600 pallet reserves and 6 500 pick locations. To help maximise warehouse productivity, Cambridge Food selected a mixed Hyster® fleet including:
Operating at greater heights, with excellent stability, visibility, manoeuvrability and control, the all-new Reach Truck is built with the quality hallmarks of Hyster: tough, intelligent, dependable and efficient. The Hyster® Reach Truck range offers range of models, from 1.0 to 2.5 tonnes, with a selection of four chassis lengths:more options, tailored to meet the demands of every indoor application.
3 Wheel Electric Forklift Trucks
3 Wheel Electric Trucks
The Hyster® range of innovative 3 wheel electric counterbalance forklifts are the most productive and energy efficient electric trucks on the market suitable for indoor or outdoor operations.
Hand pallet trucks
There is a Hyster electric pallet truck to suit every intensive or light operation, delivering reliability, energy efficiency, performance, driver comfort, and low maintenance costs for the most demanding warehouse applications. From pedestrian pallet trucks for indoor pallet transportation and loading, to electric rider pallet trucks with a load capacity of up to 3000kg, all Hyster pallet trucks have ergonomic features designed to reduce operator discomfort and fatigue.
The Hyster® range of high, medium and low level order pickers are designed to make the order picking process as easy as possible for the operator. The comprehensive range of order picker models and options extends the choice of truck configuration to provide the best solution for each customer’s application and to maximise pick face access and warehouse space utilisation.
- The level of efficiency has been enhanced thanks to the reliable range of Hyster trucks, which meet operational requirements, in particular the Hyster® electric reach trucks capable of working up to 11 metres high and the low level order pickers, which can pick off second level
- Productivity levels have been increased thanks, in part, to an advanced fleet management system, supplied by the local distribution partner and fitted to the Hyster equipment. Remote equipment monitoring technology helps to further enhance overall fleet efficiency