JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
Cambridge Food choose Hyster because they provided the best fit-for-purpose solution
Cambridge Food is part of the Masscash division of Massmart, South African-based subsidiary of Walmart.
The Cambridge Food distribution centre (DC) is the first in the Masscash stable and part of a strategy by Masscash to drive efficiencies in growing its Cambridge Food chain, which focuses on food retail in the lower end of the market.
The number of Cambridge Food stores countrywide is set to increase from 25 to 100 by 2015. By 2016, the number of stores serviced from this DC will have increased to 50.
Cambridge Food chose Hyster and its South African distributor as materials handling partners because they provided the best fit-for-purpose solution and also because Cambridge Food was satisfied that it would receive the requisite levels of after-care service through the local Hyster distribution partner.
How did Hyster Help?
- Provided the best fit-for-purpose equipment
- Equipment was provided at short notice and at the right price
- The local distribution partner provides a fullservice maintenance contract, ensuring a quick response and maximum uptime
- All operators were trained and licensed through the local distribution partner
The DC has a standard layout with three metre wide aisles and racking up to 11 metres high. It has 12 600 pallet reserves and 6 500 pick locations. To help maximise warehouse productivity, Cambridge Food selected a mixed Hyster® fleet including:
- The level of efficiency has been enhanced thanks to the reliable range of Hyster trucks, which meet operational requirements, in particular the Hyster® electric reach trucks capable of working up to 11 metres high and the low level order pickers, which can pick off second level
- Productivity levels have been increased thanks, in part, to an advanced fleet management system, supplied by the local distribution partner and fitted to the Hyster equipment. Remote equipment monitoring technology helps to further enhance overall fleet efficiency