Heteren, the Netherlands
Wienerberger is a leading international manufacturer of brick and ceramic roof tiles, with more than 16,000 employees and 197 production sites in 29 countries
In the Netherlands, Wienerberger has 18 locations with 19 factories. At the location in Heteren, the manufacturer produces facing bricks and paving bricks. The finished product is placed on the storage site ready for transport using forklift trucks. Wienerberger Heteren has four forklift trucks for this, in different weight classes.
The trucks are deployed on average 14 hours a day. They mostly drive outside, but also come inside. Until recently, the intensive, heavy use at the brick factory was considered ideally suited to diesel forklifts. However, Wienerberger recently chose to replace one of these trucks with clean, emission free Hyster forklift with lithium-ion battery when the lease was up.
How did Hyster Help?
- Wienerberger was looking for an emission-free truck that would reduce CO2 emissions. Heffiq supplied a Hyster J3.5XN equipped with maintenance-free lithium-ion technology.
- The new electric truck had to be able to run with production for the full 14 hours over 2 shifts and without changing the battery. The company also wanted to switch to an alternative energy source for reduction of CO2 emissions.
- For additional safety, the truck was equipped with a pedestrian awareness light and a bright red seat belt which must always be worn in order to start the truck.
The Hyster equipment includes:
- The robust 3.5-tonne electric four-wheel J3.5XN is designed for intensive, demanding use. Powerful, maintenance-free AC motors guarantee optimum performance.
- The Hyster forklift with lithium-ion battery can be opportunity charged without harming the battery life. The truck is put on to charge at any time, such as during coffee or lunch breaks.
- Charging is faster. Within a few minutes, the battery is sufficiently charged to continue working without any problems. In addition, the battery is maintenance-free.
- Space can be tight in the factory and in the yard. The Hyster Zero Turning radius system results in an extremely tight turning circle and – in combination with the maintenance-free, mechanical Hyster Stability Mechanism – improves stability when travelling over uneven surfaces.
- Similar handling of all Hyster trucks makes changeover easy in the fast-paced daily business
- For optimum driving comfort, the Hyster J3.5XN features an ergonomic seat and mini-levers. Furthermore, the truck offers a low step, a spacious seat with plenty of foot space and an excellent view of both the load and the surrounding areas thanks to the well-considered placement of the lifting chains and the hydraulic hoses. The steering column is easily infinitely adjustable and can be adapted to the wishes and posture of the driver. A memory mode and synchronised steering options allow the driver to get in and out of the truck quickly and easily
- Units can be optimally adapted to requirements and individually configured
- “We have been driving the new truck for a few months now. The reactions are purely enthusiastic,”says Plant Manager Wim Nijenhuis. “Our drivers are satisfied; about the operation, about the view, about the comfort and about the ease with which the battery is recharged. And we are satisfied ourselves. This is a great and clean alternative to combustion trucks. The truck is emission-free and always usable. It will not surprise me if we only use electric trucks in the future.”