NIJMEGEN AND DEN BOSCH, THE NETHERLANDS
Fuel bills have been significantly reduced thanks to the Tier 4i / Stage IIIB Cummins QSB 6.7 engine
BCTN operates intermodal transport terminal hubs in major economic centres of Gelderland, Brabant, Noord-Limburg, Overijssel and adjacent German territory with volumes of over 400,000TEU, or about 10% of the total Dutch container volume.
The company was looking to reduce overall operational expenditure.
How did Hyster Help?
- Supplied efficient materials handling equipment to help reduce fuel and tyre costs
- Helped to ensure BCTN is compliant with Tier 4i / Stage IIIB emissions regulations
- Provided the equipment on a comprehensive service contract with the local Hyster distribution partner
The Hyster equipment is required to support the demanding container terminal operation. The materials handling equipment includes:
- Fuel bills have been significantly reduced thanks to the Tier 4i / Stage IIIB Cummins QSB 6.7 engine and performance optimisation developments from Hyster, such as cooling on demand, RPM management and alternate engine idle speed
- Operational expenditure has been reduced thanks to the award winning axle design featured on the new Hyster empty container handler reduces tyre wear by up to a factor of three. The differential is mounted in the wheel ends at each side of the axle, an innovation that allows the wheels to rotate independently, greatly helping to minimise tyre scrubbing. This not only reduces tyre change costs, it also supports environmental initiatives
- Optimum energy efficiency is ensured thanks to the ECO-eLo setting on the Hyster empty container handlers, which feature
- Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) technology so the operators can fill the fuel tank as normal
- Productivity has been enhanced thanks to the Hyster empty container handlers, which are capable of handling double containers, 2 on 5 9’6”
- Excellent operator comfort and visibility is provided by the rearmounted Vista Cab to support stacking up to 8 high with class leading lifting speeds. Besides the standard 20’and 40’ containers at the terminal, 45’ containers are also handled thanks to a new type of Hyster spreader, which features a ‘shooting’ pin. The containers are securely attached and can be moved safely and quickly
- A strong long-term relationship has been developed between BCTN, Hyster and its local distribution partner thanks to the excellent level of service, which was considered in the investment process